Monday, October 12, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

Today after going to the market and purchasing some fall goodies (this was difficult for me, I could have easily bought more) I decided on making a Butternut Squash Soup.


Step 1: Peel the squash with a vegetable peeler (this is not easy!)

Step 2 : Halve the squash and dig out the seeds.

Step 3: Cut the squash into 1 inch cubes
Step 4: Roast the Squash
Recipe : In a skillet melt 1 stick of butter
After the butter is melted and is turning light brown, add on low heat -
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. salt
pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. cinnamon
Let this simmer for about 1-2 minutes, then pour over squash and mix until well coated.


Step 5: Place squash in 400 degree oven for 1 hour. Turn once after 30 minutes.

Step 6: After squash is roasted and removed from oven
take a medium saucepan and heat
2tbsp. olive oil
1 diced onion
1 diced stalk of celery
salt and pepper
add 4 cups of vegetable stock to the vegetables and let simmer for 10 minutes
Then add your roasted butternut squash!
Let this simmer for another 10 minutes while mixing.
Take your immersion blender and mix it up so it becomes a puree. If you don't have an immersion blender you can put this in a regular blender and transfer it back to the pot when done. You should really just go get an immersion blender if you don't have one though!

Next, you should taste your soup and add spices to taste.
I added cinnamon, which I don't think was a good idea, too much cinnamon!
Some people love cinnamon though, so feel free to add some. I don't like it.
I also added lots of salt. I love salty squash!
Simmer for another 10 minutes and your soup should be done!

Honestly, not the best butternut squash soup I've had, but its pretty good!
I adapted the recipe from foodnetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment