Monday, November 19, 2012

DIY Baby Tree Ornaments



For the holidays I've always loved those ornaments that have the baby hand or footprint.  I decided to make my own, and its so easy, I'm including a tutorial for you all to do it as well!

Materials 


-Crayola Model Magic (one pack will make 2-3 ornaments for a baby)
-your choice of 2 craft paints.  I chose blue martha stewart, because who can resist her packaging?
-Mod Podge Hard Coat

Steps

1. Press out your model magic to the shape you want, depending on what you are stamping.  The right one is for a hand, and the left, a foot.  You want to leave it thick enough that you will see the impression.  Model magic is super light, so no worries that it will weight down your tree branches.  The edges look rough, but in the end you can't really tell.

 2. Put your clay on a hard surface, like a book and press your child's hand or foot into the clay.  Make sure to keep steady and press hard.  The best part about model magic is you can do it over and over again.  Mistakes are ok!

3. Poke a hole at the top of the ornament for the ribbon.

 4. At this point, you can let it dry OR stamp in some information.  I used alphabet stamps that I had and stamped Griff's name into both of them, and the year.  Let it dry.  I waited 2 days.


 5. After your clay dries, pick one of your colors and paint the inside of your hand or foot.

6. Take a wet paper towel, or wipe and wipe around the indent so that it looks how you want it. I wanted the higher parts to have less paint, and I wanted some of the color around the rest of the piece. Let it dry.


7. Paint your second color into the numbers and letters, or whatever other design you made on your ornament.  Do the same technique with the wiping.  I chose dark blue. Let it dry at least overnight.

 8. Coat your dry piece with the hard coat modge podge at least 2 times.  I will probably do 4 or 5 over the course of a few days.  Even after 2 coats, the ornaments are a little squishy, as is the nature of model magic.  I want them to be able to withstand living in my ornament box.


 The back.


9. Take a thin piece of ribbon and fold it in half sticking the middle through your hole.  Thread the open end through the closed end, and there you have it!  All ready to tie on your tree!


No comments:

Post a Comment