Thursday, November 1, 2012

Caramel Apples



First, gather your ingredients.

I used 6 apples, but you can make as many as you like.
You will need parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat (the best thing ever, get one if you don't have one)
Caramel Apple sticks.  I bought mine in a restaurant supply store, but I'm sure they are available online.  What isn't?
Toppings.
I used: sprinkles, chopped nuts, toffee pieces, mini chocolate chips, cocoa nibs, and white chocolate.  The possibilities are endless.
For 6 apples I used one pack of Kraft Caramel Bits
I don't know why this bag says it comes with sticks.  Mine didn't.  Awesome if yours does, then you don't need to buy them separately.


While this is happening, wash and scrub your apples.

Once your caramel is melted, I suggest getting your toppings ready in little bowls if you want to dip them.  You can dip or sprinkle.  

Turn the boiler off, let it cool for a minute or so.

The next part is quick and messy, so no photos.  

You dip your apple in the caramel, and using a spoon, you can help the caramel up on the sides.  Once it is done, you can dip or sprinkle your toppings, and place the apple on the baking mat.  Caramel will drip everywhere.

You want to do all your apples fairly quickly so you can get the in the fridge.  You can see that I took my sweet time and the caramel was sliding off the apples.

Once those cooled for an hour or so, I melted white chocolate in the double boiler and drizzled it on some of the apples.  If you want to do this, follow the same rules as the caramel.  A tiny bit of water for 1 pack.

I also did some milk chocolate after.

The final product.



Overall, a messy but worthwhile project!  Your fall guests will appreciate the gourmet-ness of your apples.  Who doesn't LOVE caramel apples???

No comments:

Post a Comment