Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mint Cookies and Cream

My husband has been asking me to make him some mint ice-cream, so here it is!

I used:
3 cups heavy whipping cream
1.5 cups whole milk
1 heaping cup of sugar
1 vanilla bean
1tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp peppermint extract

First I combined the cream, milk, and sugar in the mixer.

Then, I remembered I bought these whole vanilla beans at the store on sale. They were $3, and usually they are almost $20, so I snatched some up not knowing what i would do with them. I decided to use them in this batch of ice-cream. 1 bean = 1 tsp.

Check out how it looks on the inside, so cool! So I added the insides of one bean.

Then, I added my extra vanilla extract, peppermint, and a tiny bit of green food coloring. It makes it this really really light tint of green with 3 drops. Don't want it too green, but I wanted to signify it was mint.

After mixing for 1 minute or so on low speed, I poured it into the ice-cream maker. I let it run for about 10 minutes.

After the 10 minutes, while it was still running, I crushed up a whole bag of cookies.
I just put them in a large glass bowl and crushed them with the end of a wooden spoon. Nothin high-tech, and big chunks are good! I ate some, ok, ok, and I saved a handful for ice-cream topping or something. I added half of the crushed up mixture into the ice-cream maker.

After about 5 minutes, I added the other half, let it mix in, the spooned it into a container for the freezer.

Usually, it takes overnight for it to reach a store bought, soft ice-cream consistency. It should be fine tonight, which is why I made it early today, I know he wants it!


This ice-cream doesn't get too hard to scoop and its really worth it to make your own. You pay the same you would for cheap store bought, but its as good, and even more fresh than the expensive kind! Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment