Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tomatillo Salsa and Rice Recipes

I've always loved salsa verde. It has such a fresh taste and its almost always delicious. Tomatillos were on sale, so I decided to give it a shot.

I took 6 tomatillos and cut them into wedges. I expected something like a tomato inside, but its more like an eggplant texture.
Placed the wedges in a good processer, gave it a whir, then added some sliced jalapeno. I used about 5 thick slices, but the salsa was between a medium and mild spicy level in the end. I would have like more spice.
Then, I added about half an avocado and salt to taste. I would guess about half a teaspoon.
A tiny bit of lemon juice to preserve the color, since I added avocado, processed until smooth, and done. It was delicious! I actually bought some more and I think I may try roasting them... mmmm.

For this dinner I also wanted to make Spanish rice, which I had never made. It was surprisingly easy. I sauteed about half an onion in vegetable oil. Then I added 1.5 cups of white rice to the onion/oil mixture.
The rest of the recipe needs some attention, so I didn't take pictures, but you add 3 cloves of chopped garlic, and sauté until the rice has become a golden brown.
Then, I added 2.5 cups of vegetable stock. You can use chicken stock, but I used vegetable since we're vegetarian.

Finally, the recipe calls for 1 cup of tomato sauce, but I didn't have that. I used a few chopped roma tomatoes. It work just fine, and turned out amazing. Stir, Stir, Stir, and cover on low heat for 20 minutes.

Now you are ready to make those delicious tacos or burritos you've been waiting for!

No comments:

Post a Comment