Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tortellini Soup

This recipe is great for fall and winter when tummies need a little warmth and spice.  The recipe came from my husband's mom, but we've altered it a bit to fit out vegetarian lifestyle.  It is very easy to make, and its even good for you!  

Tortellini Soup

Ingredients
- olive oil
- 4 medium sausages (we used Tofurky Italian Sausage, but you can use anything really)
-1/2 onion, diced
-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or a bullion cube)
- water
-1 small can stewed tomatoes
-1 large can tomato sauce
- oregano
-basil
-1 green bell pepper
-2 medium zucchini
-1 or 2 packs of frozen tortellini

You will need a large pot for this.  I use a dutch oven, which works great because then I can just store it in the fridge in the pot.

First, cut your sausages into 1/4inch pieces and brown them in your pot with olive oil.
Add your diced onion and garlic and brown that as well.

Then, you add your four cups of vegetable broth.  I do four cups of water and one of these bullions that my mom brings me back from Poland when she goes.  This one is mushroom, yum!

This is what your pot will look like.  Bring to a boil.

 Add your cans of tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes.  Then, add one small can of water to your pot.

Add oregano and basil, to taste.  I used dried oregano and fresh basil, because thats what I had on hand.

After bringing to a boil, let simmer on medium low for about 4 hours.  It can be more.  I actually turned my pot off after four hours and we went out and ran errands.  Here is what it looks like after  4 hours.

30 MINUTES BEFORE YOU EAT
 Turn up your heat to medium high, add diced green bell pepper

Add quartered zucchini

Finally, add your packs of tortellini.  I added two packs which was too much.  Next time I will just add one.  If you want it more stewy, add two.  More soupy? Add just one.  You can add salt and pepper to taste if you wish.  I didn't, and I don't feel like it really needs it.  

Let boil for 20 minutes or so.  

 This is what my 'stew' looked like after cooking.  It exploded out of the pot a little bit.

 Finally, serve.  

Each bowl is only 560 calories, and it would be less if you chose to just add one bag of tortellini.  It is REALLY filling and perfect on a cool crisp evening.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment