Friday, August 19, 2011

Attempt at goose bread

Today's post was supposed to be how I made beautiful Goose Bread and how scrumptious it was. It has now changed to - how I ruined the Goose Bread and what I would have done differently.

You need -

1 tsp yeast
1 tbsp honey
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup sugar
1.5 chicken eggs (or 1 goose egg)
flour... I think I used about 4 cups, maybe less.
1/2 stick butter

Add yeast, honey, and water together in a bowl and whisk together. Let sit for 10 minutes or so.
Whisk in eggs and sugar

Add 1/2 cup flour at a time until you have a non-sticky dough that you can knead on your counter or cutting board.
After kneading for about 5 minutes, rub your hands with butter and coat your bread.

Put it in a clean bowl and set it aside to rise for 2 hours. Damp cloth on top, of course.


After 2 hours, knead again to get all the air out.
Form 3 balls, lightly flour, and roll into snakes
Braid. I stretched as I braided so it was really long!!

Coil your braid and put in buttered cast iron to raise for 2 more hours. Isn't it beautiful?

THIS IS WHERE I WOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING DIFFERENT
After the last step, my bread looked AMAZING! beautifully filled the pan...

Next, you are supposed to boil the bread lightly on each side, maybe for 1 minute.
When I tried to take my bread out of the pan it collapsed.

When I tried to take it out of the pot, it broke into a million pieces.
Eh, I baked it anyway...
Disgusting.
I threw it away. It tasted bad after baking. EW.

Do over.
After raising for 2 more hours, lightly coat with melted butter and sugar.
Put bread directly into over at 360 degrees for 30 minutes.

I would skip the boiling. Better yet, don't even touch it after the 2nd rise.
I will try this again another day. Not today.

I'm off to work on some more birds...

No comments:

Post a Comment