Tuesday, August 2, 2011

An awesome pattern!

Not my own, that is, but the one that I tried yesterday.
If you look at yesterday's post I wrote about trying a pattern I found on Polka Dot Umbella's blog. I must say, it was the best written, best thought out pattern and tutorial that I have EVER followed. It made complete sense, every step of the way. I didn't have any issues, and honestly, it came out perfectly.

First, I cut out the pattern from the paper

Then, from fabric.

I chose to use this super cute fabric that I had used on for my wedding when making the hand-fasting ribbons.

For the felt, I'm not even sure what this fabric is that i used. Its super soft, acts like felt... no idea.

And for the contrasting I used a heavy duty canvas type olive fabric that I've had in my scraps for ages.

The instructions were so easy! Here it is all pinned together with the legs, arms, and ears inside.

I really pinned the heck out of it. Let me tell you, I'm not a pinner. I don't know why, I just don't like it. I'm slowly learning though, that things turn out much better if you pin. For all you non-pinners out there, I think I'm a convert.

The underside of the face.

Face close up. I did the face a little differently since I did not want to use buttons. I wanted the toy to be infant and baby friendly, so I sewed the eyes with thread. I just free handed the thread with the sewing machine foot up.

The only thing I did that was not in the instructions was to sew some thread to the middle section of the ears. I wanted to do this mainly to keep the ear fabrics together.

Finished front

Finished back

On another note, our wedding/engagement was featured on A Paper Proposal! Check it out!


  1. I'm glad the pattern was easy to follow. It was one of the very first patterns I made for myself, and also the first I have made up on the computer. I love the idea of using free motion embroidering for the face.

  2. you should definitely make more. Honestly, i can't rave about it enough!