Friday, August 12, 2011
Onesie from scratch
I'm sure I'll make one of these from scratch to show you all, but I did a test to see how plausible it is to make a onesie from fabric. The process was much more time consuming and difficult than making the dress I made last week, the fabric more expensive, and the result, not as pleasing as I'd hoped.
I used an olive green knit as the main color, and a brown for contrasting. I took apart a plain onesie, and used the pieces as my pattern for this one. That was fairly easy. Just four pieces, one front, one back, and two sleeves.
After I made each piece I created come edging for the sleeves, and neck pieces, and the legs.
On the front part, I attached some ruffles, just to experiment.
Finally, I had to sew the pieces together. The most difficult part was getting the sleeves and the fold over neck pieces to sit right. Once I figured that out, and pinned it all, it was a piece of cake.
The snaps have been a bit of a disaster since the fabric is thick at the bottom. They have been coming off, and that is something I will have to figure out.
Overall, I'm sure the 2nd one will be quicker and easier. It would be cheaper to just buy a onesie and decorate it to my liking, but I like being able to make the whole thing myself!